How to file for US Citizenship through Naturalization

To file for U.S. citizenship, you must:

Have had a Permanent Resident (Green) Card for at least five years, or for at least three years if you’re filing as the spouse of a U.S. citizen

If you apply for naturalization less than six months before your Permanent Resident Card expires, or do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.

You can apply for naturalization before you receive your new Green Card, but you’ll need to submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, when you receive it.

Meet certain eligibility requirements including being

At least 18 years old at the time of filing

Able to read, write, and speak basic English

A person of good moral character

Go through the ten step naturalization process which includes

Determining your eligibility to become an American citizen
Preparing and submitting form N-400, the application for naturalization
Taking the U.S. Naturalization Test and having a personal interview


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s