41. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal
▪ to print money
▪ to declare war
▪ to create an army
▪ to make treaties
* If you are 65 years old or older and have been a legal permanent resident of the United States for 20 or more years, you
may study just the questions that have been marked with an asterisk.
42. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
▪ provide schooling and education
▪ provide protection (police)
▪ provide safety (fire departments)
▪ give a driver’s license
▪ approve zoning and land use
43. Who is the Governor of your state now?
▪ Answers will vary. [District of Columbia residents should answer that D.C. does not have a Governor.]
44. What is the capital of your state?*
▪ Answers will vary. [District of Columbia residents should answer that D.C. is not a state and does not have a
capital. Residents of U.S. territories should name the capital of the territory.]
45. What are the two major political parties in the United States?*
▪ Democratic and Republican